If your clients have ever asked you to provide new ideas to expand their market and communication in Latin America and you haven’t been able to answer, I will tell you what the right answer is: “Invest in Mexico.”
Every year, the Internet Mexican Association (AMIPCI) publishes a study on Mexicans’ Internet behavior and habits. Let’s take a look at the key findings:
- Today, there are 45.1 million Internet users in Mexico (less than 50% of the country population), 10% more than last year.
- There is gender equality in Mexico in terms of Internet users: 51% are male and 49% female.
- 30% of Internet users are aged 25-44 years old.
- On average, Mexicans use the Internet 5 hours and 1 minute per day, 67 minutes more than in 2012.
- Mexicans use the Internet mostly for e-mail, information searches, and access to social media.
- 9 out of 10 Mexican Internet users have access to at least one social media channel.
These figures show a positive technological landscape for Mexico, particularly for the social media sector. It is becoming easier to have access to the Internet and to social media communities. This is why our exposure to brands on the Internet is becoming increasingly powerful. Now, our goal at the agency is to continue researching what Mexicans do during the five hours they spend every day on the Internet. We are taking advantage of the fact that Mexico is number five in Facebook users and number seven in Twitter accounts worldwide. In addition, we are creating strategies to engage people in our clients’ communities.
Finally, the fast increase in internet users in Mexico is good news that you can share with your clients that have presence in our country, including those who use traditional PR activities. This study brings me to a single conclusion: Mexico is evolving in the way that it communicates. Our country is a target that your clients should consider thoroughly. Without a doubt, Mexico provides excellent conditions for growth.