SXSW 2015 is underway and the team has already been out and about in Austin hearing the latest news, opinions and trends. Below are some of the best quotes from Day One and watch for more to come.
- “Yo, it’s hard. It’s not that it’s easy, but it’s possible.” – Nicole Sanchez, founder, Vixxenn, On being a woman in tech/female founder
- “Instead of trying to be amazing, try to be useful.” – Kaila Garrison, Senior Product Marketer, Oracle Marketing Cloud, during a panel discussion (Simple Ways To Massively Increase Your Content) on how brands create relevant content for consumers.
- “Word of mouth impression drives 5x more sales than paid impressions” – Greg Pharo
- “We’re not just competing against our competitors… we’re competing against a customers’ best friends and family.” – Kaila Garrison, Senior Product Marketer, Oracle Marketing Cloud on the hurdles that brands face when creating engaging content.
- “The conversation we’re not having is how to tackle the narrow paradigm of glorified, lionised masculinity” Donald McPherson, Can Sports Help End a Culture of Violence?
- “Smart data, not big data, ties back to clean objectives across systems. This is how we identify the signal from the noise” Sarah Newhall, What Marketers Can Learn From Political Campaigns.
- “Is it art or is it data? Frontiers can start as scientific and end up being art” Don Petit, NASA New Initiatives in Imagery for Public Use
- “Average IT to teachers is about 1 to 100. Simplicity matters, safe & secure with easy adoption.” – Manish Kothari, Edmodo
- VR technology is well on its way to becoming a more well-known experiential device for consumers. What’s in the near future for VR? A panel on ‘The Casual VR Scene’ suggests it will come in the form of content we’re already interacting with. Case and point: “So, why did Facebook buy Oculus [Rift]?” – Neal Nellans, Ghost Machine, LLC.
— Robert C Woods (@RobertWoods11) March 13, 2015